The Historical Museum

The Historical museum
The Historical museum

The History Museum in Panagyurishte was founded on 20 th of January 1951. It was ratified on 27 th of December 1966 with a verdict of the Association of the Culture and Art Committee. This educational institute realizes the protection and preserving of the cultural monuments in Panagyurishte district. It investigates, documents and shows cultural valuables with cognitive and aesthetic aim. It is a general history museum with a natural science department. 18 000 museum units are kept in its funds.

The History Museum has the following departments: Archeology, Ethnology, Bulgarian Territories within the Ottoman Empire between XV – XIX century, Early Modern and Modern History. A specialized library with over 6000 volumes of texts – early printed books, periodical editions and a self-contained fund depository function as serving links in the museum.

A two-storey edifice of 400 square meters was built in 1964. An exposition dedicated to the participation of Panagyurishte in the April Uprising in 1878 is constructed in this edifice.

Besides the building of the Historical Museum the museum complex also includes:

  • Self-dependent exposition hall for exhibitions built in 1986
  • Dudekov's House-museum – architectural historical monument of national importance built in the middle of the XIX century
  • Blue Hadzhidimitrov’s House Museum – the collection of endowment Ivan Deyanov is situated in it
  • White Hadzhidimitrov’s House Museum – the museum library is situated in it

Section Art

The exposition in section art includes: a duplicate of the Gold treasure of Panaguyrishte, collections of pictures painted by famous Bulgarian artists, collections of ceramic and copper pots and silver adornments, archeological finds from Strelcha and Starosel.

Exhibition

The exhibition does not have a constant topic. Exhibitions of the museum or visiting art or photo documental exhibitions on different topics are arranged in the hall.

National liberation movement

The exposition is situated in three halls and includes: The Armament of Apriltsi, The April Uprising, The Liberation of Panagyurishte and the region of Panagyurishte from Turkish Yoke and the participation of the people of Panagyurishte in the Union of the Bulgarian Principality and Eastern Rumelia in 1885.

Valuable exponents from the fund are exhibited here. Some of them are of national importance. The exponents, which are arranged chronologically and thematically reflect the spiritual and cultural development of the people of Panagyurishte during the Bulgarian national revival, their armaments and participation in the battle for national liberation and also their contribution during the Russian-Turkish war of liberation and the Union of the Bulgarian Principality and Eastern Rumelia.

First hall - Exposition Armaments of Apriltzi

This exposition follows the preparation for participation in the April Uprising – getting of accouterments, uniforms and weapons for the uprising. The armed preparation is represented by collections of accouterments for the uprising, clothes, flintlocks, percussion weapons, blank weapons and modern weapons with which was armed the Turkish army that crushed the uprising Part of the museum's exhibition, dedicated to the April Uprising.

Second hall - Exposition The April Uprising

This exposition follows the development of the enlightenment work in Panagyurishte and the leading participation of the people of Panagyurishte in organizing and management of the April Uprising.

The development of the enlightenment work is represented by photos of distinguished Bulgarian educators from Panagyurishte: prof. Marin Drinov, Nesho Bontchev, Vasilii Tcholakov, Petar Karapetkov and others.

The organization and preparation for the April Uprising, its proclamation and extent, mass participation of the population, its heroism are followed in the exposition by many photos, detailed lay outs and schemes, also by arranged exponents according to the collection principle– armaments and possessions of the apostles, voivodes, centurions, the conjuror of the people of Oborishte – priest Gruyo Banski, the leader of the revolutionary committee and of the Temporary government Pavel Bobekov, cherry-tree cannons and the cross of the flying detachment of Georgi Benkovski.

Third hall - Exposition Liberation of Panagyurishte and the region of Panagyurishte from Turkish Yoke and the participation of the people of Panagyurishte in the Union

The exposition reflects the liberation of Panagyurishte district from Turkish Yoke, the participation of volunteers from Panagyurishte in the Russian-Turkish war of liberation and the contribution of the people of Panagyurishte in the Union of the Bulgarian Principality and Eastern Rumelia in a united Bulgarian nation thanks to maps, lay outs, many pictures and list of articles.






We've tried to make the information on this web site as accurate as possible, but it is provided 'as is' and we accept no responsibility for any loss, injury or inconvenience sustained by anyone resulting from this information. You should verify critical information (like visas, health and safety, customs and transportation) with the relevant authorities before you travel.