National Museum of Military History
With a decree N39 / 01.August 1914 of Tsar Ferdinand I was established Military - Historical Commision at the Headquarters of Bulgarian Army. It included: Museum, Archives and Library.
On order N391 / 04.07. 1916 of the Commmander - in Chef of the Army started the real accomplishment of the museum items connected "...in order to preserve for the eternity all the items connected with the events which marked the most important pages of our military history...."
After dividing in 1906 of the first Bulgarian Peoples Museum into two museums - Archeological and Ethnographical, the Military Museum became the 3 rd national museum structure. It united the established after 1879 military historical houses - museums. The first exhibition of the Main Military Museum was opened on 12. May 1937 in a building which was bestowed by the officers' corps of Sofia, located on 15 Moskovska Str. In 1949 the Museum was renamed as a Central Museum of Peoples Army, and since 1952 it has been located at its contemporary address - 23 Gen. Skobelev Blvd.
Since 1956 in the museum has been working the first restoration workshop. After an agreement between the governments of Bulgaria and Hungary in 1967 a collective of museum workers established the only in a foreign country Museum of the First Bulgarian Army.
In 1968 the Museum was given a status of a national institution and it changed its name - became a National Museum of Military History. The Naval Museum and Park - Museum "Wladislaw Warnencek" became its branches.
Since 1971 has started issuing of a scientific magazine "Bulletin of the NMMH". In 1975 the Museum was awarded with the Order of Cyril and Methodius - 1-st grade for its activity in the field of science, enlightment and culture.
In August 2000 the Museum was deprived of its status of a national institution and was renamed as a Museum of Military History. Since 1st April 2001 the status of a national institution and the name National Museum of Military History have been restored.
The Museum has been in reconstruction since 1989.
For its almost centennial presence in the cultural life in the museum store are preserved and investigated more than 1 000 000 artefacts - witnesses of Bulgarian and European military history.
|We've tried to make the information on this web site as accurate as possible, but it is provided 'as is' and we accept no responsibility for any loss, injury or inconvenience sustained by anyone resulting from this information. You should verify critical information (like visas, health and safety, customs and transportation) with the relevant authorities before you travel.|