- 16 km to the north, up above the town is one of the biggest Bulgarian winter resorts – Pamporovo.
- 10 km west of the centre of the town is the region of the Smolyan lakes, known as the Emerald eyes of the Rhodope mountain. They totaled 20 in number, but presently there are only 7 lakes. The largest one of them –the so-called Clear lake - is also the deepest and the most beautiful.
- Chaired rope lift to Snejanka peak, passing close to some picturesque vertical rocks. Bus ? 4 travels to this region.
- The Smolyan waterfall is 20 meters high and is in the immediate surroundings southwest of the town.
- 27 km south of Smolyan, in the valley of the river Arda , is the village of Mogilitza. It has beautiful renaissance style houses, but the most interesting building is that of the Agushev's konak, built in 1843. It has 221 windows, 86 doors and 24 chimneys. This is a splendid piece of art of an unknown Rhodope master, whose right hand was cut by Agush, the owner of the Konak, according to the legend, to be sure that the master will not built another similar masterpiece of art. This is the only preserved medieval feudal castle on the Balkan Peninsula.
- 24 km from Smolyan one can find the ethnographic and architectural reserve - Shiroka Luka.
There are some 20 caves in the vicinity of the village, the most interesting of them being the Uhlovitsa cave characterized by its miraculous cascade lakes at a distance of 3 km east of the village. The cave is easily accessible. There is regular daily bus from the town of Smolyan to the village.
- 10 km north of the town is located the village of Momchilovtsi. Its authentic Rhodope architecture, the local historic-ethnographic museum, the interesting habits and traditions, its mild and pleasant climate in all the seasons, the delicious local culinary gourmets, its fantastic nature, the availability of a number of family hotels turn the village into a special site of domestic and international tourism. There is a regular bus line to Smolyan and Chepelare.
- The Monastery St. Atanas and the legendary peak of Kralyov Kamuk are located to the south in the Rhodope ridge Kainadina.